Healthy used to mean plain, boring, not so exciting meals. Boring baked chicken, dressing free salads, naked baked potato…do any of these sound appetizing to you? Luckily times have changed and we are learning more about how to use healthier ingredients in our favorite meals. Greek yogurt is one of those ingredients that I find myself reaching for when recipes call for sour cream, ranch dressing, or mayonnaise.
Why Greek yogurt?
- High in protein to keep you feeling fuller longer.
- High in calcium which helps builds stronger bones.
- Contains probiotic cultures that help with digestive health.
- High in Vitamin B12 which helps with energy and brain function.
Just make sure to choose plain versions of the yogurt or else you’ll be sneaking in a lot of sugar!
5 Ways to Use Greek Yogurt:
- As a topping instead of sour cream. We use Greek yogurt to top things like Mexican dishes, baked potatoes, and basically anything where we would normally use sour cream.
- To make a healthier Ranch dressing. See Cook For Your Life’s recipe here.
- Instead of mayonnaise in egg salads. I am OBSESSED with the Avocado Egg Salad from Two Peas & Their Pod. Try it, you will not be disappointed!
- Mix it with peanut butter to make a healthy dip for apples. My daughter gobbles this up!
- To make a Tzatziki sauce for Mediterranean dishes.
There are so many other ways to use Greek yogurt in your dishes, the list definitely does not stop here. The great thing is that you’ll get all the creamy taste and texture that you like from things like sour cream, but in a much healthier way!
icon-thumb-tack Quick tip: If you have a dish that is really spicy, Greek yogurt is great at bringing the spice level down a bit. I like to use it when I am cooking Indian dishes.
What are some healthy substitutions that you have made in your cooking? Do you notice any difference in taste?
- Crockpot Enchilada Quinoa
- How Meal Planning Can Save Time, Money, And Your Sanity