Welcome back to Pizza Friday! I hope that you had a great week and are able to find some time to relax this weekend-you deserve it!
This week I decided to make pizza night a little bit healthier and try a new eggplant pizza recipe from EatGood4Life. I have to admit that I haven’t always had the best luck with eggplant pizza before. It would either turn out soggy or burnt. I honestly think the key was sprinkling the eggplant with sea salt and letting it bake before putting the toppings on. I must have skipped (aka didn’t feel like doing) this step in previous recipes.
The eggplant pizzas turned out delicious and were a big hit in my house. I was sure that my picky daughter would refuse to try them because they didn’t look like her “normal” pizza, but add enough sauce and cheese and they will not be the wiser. (I don’t want to jinx it, but she’s been trying lots of new foods lately. I probably just jinxed it).
- 2 large eggplant, sliced 1 inch thick
- 24 oz jar tomato sauce
- 20 slices provolone cheese, mozzarella works too
- 3-4 oz fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Pepper flakes, optional
- I used one eggplant instead of two and it was plenty for the three of us. We actually had some left over, but they do get a little soggy in the fridge overnight. Adjust the rest of your toppings accordingly based on how much eggplant you use.
- I didn’t have any Himalayan salt, so I used sea salt instead.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the eggplant evenly and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the eggplant.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn the broiler on.
- Spread sauce over the eggplant slices, followed by cheese, spinach, and cherry tomatoes.
- Broil for 5 minutes, but keep a close eye while they are cooking. Make sure they get browned on top but not burnt.
Enjoy while hot and feel free to change the toppings as you wish. I will definitely be making these again. Have a wonderful weekend and see you next time for Pizza Friday!
What’s your healthy go-to pizza recipe?
- Teacher Gifts: Easy DIY Flowerpots
- Mommy Scientist Series: Why I’m Overhauling My Skincare Products (Part 1)